The excellent Rhea/Phoebe Optical Drive Emulator for the Sega Saturn isn’t news. There’s plenty of reviews and guides about it all over the web.
UPDATE January 2020 – I decided to revisit my Saturn and replace the 3D printed tray with a different model that includes an SD card extension. I’ll add some photos soon, but for now so I don’t forget – I got it from an eBay seller called coaster2k, who was incredibly helpful with this and some Dreamcast parts I bought from him. I paid for everything, he hasn’t asked me to mention him, I was just impressed with the products and his great support when I had a problem with one of the extensions that I wanted to mention him – things go wrong now and again, and he offered to put it right straight away – without any quibbles, you can’t say fairer than that!
This page is here just to document what I found whilst obtaining and setting up my Rhea.
First of all, I used my wordpress account to sign up for alerts from the official site. Once I did that, it wasn’t too long a wait until I was notified of an update which also mentioned that ordering was open.
Whilst waiting, I followed all the info put together by MidnightMonkey which I found over at neo-geo.com – this was the first time I saw to re-use 2 of the rubber pieces from the original CD Drive on the Rhea. You just squeeze them and slide them out.
Slide the Rubber Supports over the front two legs of the Rhea and now when you pop the case back together the Rhea will be held securely in place instead of wobbling around.
Not long after ordering my Rhea, I decided I’d like to have a 3D printed tray, if I dropped an SD card into my Saturn then I’d be less than happy. The official site links to one on thingiverse.com. I had a look on eBay to find someone to print it out for me for a good price.
I stumbled upon Grant Brenton, who was incredibly enthusiastic as soon as I got in touch. He took a look at the item on thingiverse and went through some options with me, including Acetone treatment to smooth off the rough finish that can typically go with 3D printing.
I received photos of the parts once they had been printed, and then again after the Acetone treatment. Upon receiving the parts and trying them out, they unfortunately didn’t fit – it turns out that they had received too much Acetone treatment. Grant quickly sorted this out and adjusted his process and sent me replacements.
The replacements were a much better fit and had a great finish. It needed minor tweaking to fit perfectly.
The 4 holes that fit over the old CD Drive supports needed enlarging a tiny bit so that they were a better fit, I couldn’t find a drill bit the right size so I ran a scalpel blade around the inside of the holes to shave a small bit off.
The base was also a little bit too thick so I used some wet/dry sandpaper to make it thinner – I kept going until the Rhea support leg reached the metal plate above the motherboard.
(I forgot to mention, you only need one support leg now – you can remove the one by the SD card slot, in fact – the way the Rhea is sandwiched between the parts, you probably don’t need the other support leg now that I think about it.)
I wet the paper so as not to get dust everywhere, put the paper down on a flat surface and pushed down whilst sliding the tray around on it
All that remains is to fit the smaller piece to the inside of the case. It’s a snug enough fit to hold itself into place.